First Things First, Switzerland


 When my exchange trip ended, and I left Switzerland two years ago I told myself I would be back, and soon. If I had my way I would never would have left! But once reality set in I could see it would be a good five years before I could save enough money to afford another trip - what with study and all.

 So you can imagine my delight when my parents announced that we as a family were not only going on our first ever overseas holiday together, but we were going to Switzerland the following Summer!


Prior to Switzerland, my family had been touring around the southern states in the US. I decided not to go for this part of the trip, and instead stay home and work as much as I could to save up for the coming year (and a little spending $$$ on this trip).

This meant I had to do my first solo long haul trip, and to say I was nervous would be an understatement.


When the time came, and me and Ben said our tearful goodbyes, I was a nervous wreck. Just checking my bag was stressful, how on earth was I going to manage customs!
I took everything slowly, focusing on one step at a time, and before I knew it I was on my first flight.
Everything went so smoothly, all my worrying was for nothing, of course. But that has got to be one of the most boring experiences of my life! No one to talk to; counting down the minutes. I was more than happy to have that behind me once I landed in Geneva.


There's a twelve hour time difference between New Zealand and Switzerland, and I have to say, I think I fared pretty well. After a quick shower, and a fresh face of makeup, I was right into it - perhaps a little more enthusiastic and energetic even than some of my younger siblings!

First things first, a "sight-seeing" (shopping) trip to Geneva. There were several I was looking forward to on return to Switzerland, but one of my top priorities was SHOPPING. Mango, Zara, Manor, Kookai, Tommy Hilfiger. Shopping in New Zealand just doesn't compare.


Nibbling on marrons chauds whilst strolling through Geneva gave me flashbacks to magical Christmas markets. I just couldn't believe I was back.



After a considerate amount of shopping we made our way into Geneva's old town to appease some less shopping oriented family members. 



St Pierre's Cathedrale was a must. We made our way up the 153 steps of the bell tower, and were greeted with the most incredible views of the city running down to the mountain framed Lac Leman.



I had visited the cathedral at the end of my exchange, so unlike my parents and siblings (and myself the first time I came) I wasn't concerned with taking millions of photos. Instead I could be present and enjoy. 


All smiles in Swtizerland!

It was incredible to be back, and with my family. I had been dreaming of this moment for a long time, to see it come to fruition was so special.

No comments

Post a Comment

A Weekend in Wellington

When my best friend, Ellie, moved to Wellington for uni at the beginning of the year she made me promise to come at visit her at least once ...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig